ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: if and unless attributes for all Tasks
Date Mon, 21 May 2001 10:00:19 GMT
Hi,

I didn't have much time to read and much less time to respond to email
last week.  I've seen most of this thread but thought I couldn't keep
up with the response-frequency needed, so I stepped back.  Blaming it
on my arrogance would be wrong - this time 8-).

First of all, if you look at the reason this issue has been rejected
for Ant2, it simply says "no single +1 vote".  This means two things:
(1) nobody has vetoed it and (2) nobody thought it would be a useful
feature.

Thanks to Allan to give us a use case (I'll think about it and see
whether I can present an Ant2 solution that doesn't need task level
conditions), this is the best way to address issue (2) from above.

And (1) quite simply says, that it has not been rejected because it
was un-Ant-ish or something.

Actually, there have been quite a few "why would one need this?" votes
during the whole process and it's a pity nobody stepped up to
convince us that something is really needed.  This has been the whole
point of collection feature requests for Ant2, having a public
discussion and then vote on them.

I'm not the guy who likes to fight religious wars (and I think if you
look through the archives of this mailing list you'll see that), this
would be pointless.  My aim is to have a feature set for Ant2 that
will allow it to tackle the really big complex build challenges while
still being maintainable for the committers - and I don't think that
"there is more than one way to do it" would be the right direction.

If it turned out that some common problems can only be solved by
having task level conditionals, then we'll probably go out and
implement them.

Stefan