ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISC] ${} expansion for data types
Date Thu, 31 May 2001 09:16:34 GMT

> At 10:42 AM 5/29/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>>We've agreed to unify the namespace of properties and all other data
>>types - now what are we going to do with ${} expansions, that are
>>expected to yield a String result.
>
> I would disagree with that. A ${} will expand to an object - this
> *could* be converted to a string if it was embedded in a string.
>
> ie The second use of myfileset will not be converted if src expects
> the type to be fileset.

Fine with me.

>>There are cases where the result a user wants from a ${} expansion
>>depends on the context.  If you take FileSet for example, people
>>have asked for lists of absolute or relative paths, separated by a
>>host of different delimiters.
>
> yup.
>
>>Does that mean, we want/have to make the converters a hierarchical
>>aspect?
>
> Not in my opinion - they just have to be aware of the context in
> which they are called.  (ie we have to pass in the properties at
> time they are converted). Context could be hierarchial (or it could
> not) but that is irrelevent to the converter.

Not sure whether I can follow you here.

So we'd need to store the information that the user requests comma as
a delimiter and relative file names for the converter into the context
and the converter would know each and every variation of how the user
wants to have her fileset expanded?

Stefan