ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: inconsistency in top-level items; automatic init. task?
Date Tue, 22 May 2001 06:25:40 GMT
Daniel Barclay <Daniel.Barclay@digitalfocus.com> wrote:

> Do you think Ant2 can be different?  Peter's reply wasn't
> encouraging.

Yes, I do (think, that it _can_).  If you take a look at Conor's
description of mutant (his proposal for Ant2), it allows for a build
file like this:

<project name="super-simple">
  <mkdir dir="classes" />
  <javac src="src" dest="classes" />
  <jar jarfile="product.jar" basedir="classes" />
</project>

Same holds true for frANTic, another proposal submitted by James Cook
months ago.

> (Was he just talking about Ant1?:
>
>   >Why not either:
>   >- let any task appear at the top level, or
>
>   that was -1ed ages ago as could lead to heaps of complexity. It
>   could also lead to target-less scripts.

I can't remember that it had been vetoed ...

>   >- define an initialization target (when a target has some
>   >distinguished name like "init" or something, every other target
>   >implicitly depends on it)
>
>   This was done and users screamed for blood ;)

Yep. The very early Ant had an implicit init target. Nowadays we
prefer to be explicit with our dependencies 8-)

Stefan