ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Converter Area of Concern
Date Thu, 31 May 2001 09:23:52 GMT

> At 10:30 AM 5/29/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>>Peter Donald <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> 1. Ant User - uses only built in tasks and only in common ways
>>> 2. Task File writer - Can write tasks for Ant for custom things
>>> 3. Advanced Build Manager - ie like GUMP that has specific global
>>>    needs
>>> 4. Modded-Ant Users - ie who alter fundamental workings of Ant
>>> 5. Ant Embedded user
>>>
>>> Writing Aspects belong to role (3)
>>
>>And - to a certain extent - to (2) (4) and (5) as well, depends on
>>the specific Aspect.
>
> Could you expand on this point. I am not sure where I see this this
> being part of (2).

Depends on what we call an aspect, I guess. We'll want to clarify
this.

>>> My current beliefe is that Converters along with ProjectBuilders
>>> (and any stacked processors like XSLT/Configurer/Velocity/etc)
>>> belong in (4).
>>
>>Not entirely, at least for the two interpretations I've given, they
>>belong to (2) as well.  If I define a new task/type, I may need a
>>custom converter.
>
> Possibly but should we allow/encourage that sort of action?

How would I use my new data type if I cannot supply a converter for
the ${} expansion of it?  Yes, I think we should allow that.

>>Haven't looked at your new code yet, sorry.
>
> Don't for a while as I haven't got it to a good state yet ;)

So just tell me when I should start looking ;-)

Stefan