ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Sandbox for Wayward Ant Tasks
Date Tue, 08 May 2001 08:02:10 GMT
Tim Vernum <Tim.Vernum@macquarie.com.au> wrote:

> An AntOn/AntCallOn/Foreach task is a common example, and there are
> others.

AntOn will be part of Ant2, but this is just picking nits.  Your
general argument holds true.

> Other than the adminstration difficulties of managing a new cvs
> module, what is the complaint against having a set of contrib tasks?

As I'm the one one who proposed it in the Ant2 requirements collecting
phase, I can't completely answer this.

One problem I see is the status of committers for this contrib
module.  If you restrict ant-contrib committers to current Ant
committers, you don't gain anything - if you hand out commit access
more freely, you will have to define some rules, as every committer
could tinker with every contributed task.

Sure, there are a couple of people, I'd vote to become ant-contrib
committers immediately and whom I'd trust to use this module in a
reasonable way.  But we can never hand out commit access to everybody
who asks for it - at least not without very strict rules to begin
with.

Stefan