ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: inconsistency in top-level items; automatic init. task?
Date Tue, 22 May 2001 06:32:09 GMT
Peter Vogel <pvogel@arsin.com> wrote:

> For example, if you want an "init" target that defines all the
> properties, you are screwed if you want to set up a referenceable
> path because <path> is not a valid subelement of <target>,

"FIXED" in Ant2 - it's on the list of inconsistencies to fix.

> Personally, I think things should work like this:
>
> <property> values defined in a target should take effect
> for the duration of that target, while properties defined
> outside of all targets take effect for the duration of
> the build.

This doesn't work very well if you want to assign different values to
a property based on some conditions - at least in an "immutable
properties" scenario.

On the Ant2 feature list we have some items that you are going to like

>> * make properties fully dynamic, i.e. allow their value to be reassigned
>>
>> * support more control over the properties that are going to be passed
>>   to subprojects (modules)
>>
>> * Ability to manage scopping of properties in general (ie
>>   target/project/workspace).

where the details still have to be sorted out (we still need immutable
properties in some contexts for example).

Stefan