ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Converter Area of Concern
Date Tue, 29 May 2001 08:30:32 GMT

> Whos concern is the converter?

Just a short nomenclature check, what is "the converter" you are
talking about.  Something that translates Strings to Objects for
attribute setters?  Something that translates Objects to Strings for
${} expansions?

> There is a few roles I see in using ant.
>
> 1. Ant User - uses only built in tasks and only in common ways
> 2. Task File writer - Can write tasks for Ant for custom things
> 3. Advanced Build Manager - ie like GUMP that has specific global
>    needs
> 4. Modded-Ant Users - ie who alter fundamental workings of Ant
> 5. Ant Embedded user
>
> Task API and ProjectListeners definetly belong in role (2).

Agreed.

> Writing Aspects belong to role (3)

And - to a certain extent - to (2) (4) and (5) as well, depends on the
specific Aspect.

> My current beliefe is that Converters along with ProjectBuilders
> (and any stacked processors like XSLT/Configurer/Velocity/etc)
> belong in (4).

Not entirely, at least for the two interpretations I've given, they
belong to (2) as well.  If I define a new task/type, I may need a
custom converter.

> So I propose that we separate out (2-3) and (4-5) so as to make it
> clearer.

Haven't looked at your new code yet, sorry.  What does an embeddor do?
So far more than an open API for (5) has been out of the scope of Ant
for me.

Stefan