ant-dev mailing list archives

From Russell Gold <russg...@acm.org>
Subject Logging and Verbose
Date Wed, 09 May 2001 23:06:50 GMT
I notice that it used to be the case that -verbose dumped what I thought was very interesting
stuff: the system properties that ant saw (including the classpath) and for each task, the
logic it used to decide whether and what to run. A lot of that seems to be gone now, presumably
because it was *too* verbose.

One of the advantages of some logging APIs is the ability to control the verbosity level by
category. Thus, we could say something like:

-verbose: javac,delete

to turn on verbose output for the javac and delete tasks only.  Is that the kind of thing
now being contemplated? And would the suggestions of using listeners allow for this?  I would
have expected the code to call the logging API channels directly to get this kind of control.
Russell Gold                     | "... society is tradition and order
russgold@acm.org                 | and reverence, not a series of cheap
http://www.httpunit.org          |   - Poul Anderson, "Iron"