ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject RE: if and unless attributes for all Tasks
Date Wed, 16 May 2001 23:48:48 GMT
Jason,

I have some concerns about this task. It sounds simple but there are a
number of complexities with such a task.

Firstly it will be useless unless it has some API into the Ant core - the
callTarget method in your example - who will provide that? In Ant-1 you can
probably access a lot of things but in Ant-2 that will all change and you
may be more restricted in what you can do. One thing for sure, the API
available to tasks *will* change. The script task itself will have some
similar problems - I'm not sure the extent of them yet.

Such a task can create backward compatability issues which we will need to
consider carefully. In Ant-2 we will need to get the task API tied down for
such a task to minimise these backward compatability issues.

Also, there are some practical issues. Where are you going to put the
generated code. Will you do the compile at parse time or execution time?
Will you cache the generated class? There may be some classloader fun.

Overall I'm not sure this is better than just coding an ad hoc task, which
I'm not much in favour of either. At least that keeps the Java code in Java
files.

Anyway, I think you may want to perform some experiments. If you go ahead
please be aware that across the Ant-1/Ant-2 boundary it will break.

Conor