ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Stevens <...@latchkey.com>
Subject Re: Ant2 logging
Date Thu, 10 May 2001 03:35:36 GMT
on 5/9/01 8:13 PM, "Tim Vernum" <Tim.Vernum@macquarie.com.au> wrote:

> From: Jon Stevens [mailto:jon@latchkey.com]
>
>> on 5/9/01 7:56 PM, "Tim Vernum" <Tim.Vernum@macquarie.com.au> wrote:
>
>>> Why?
>>> Why do you care what toolkit Ant uses to do the logging?
>>
>> Simply put:
>>
>>     I want choice.
>
> Choice for choice's sake doesn't make much sense to me.
> It's just the colour of the bike shed.

It makes sense from the point of view that if you don't believe in the long
term maintainability of LogKit (@see deprecation issues) or the fact that it
only has one active developer and zero community and compared with Log4J
which has quite a lot more support...

> If either of the logging kits offers real differences for the end user, then
> can someone please post them, but so far I haven't seen a convincing argument
> on that point from anyone.

Yup.

> If there's no end user difference, then Ant should use the one that simplest
> for the developer.

Both are simple. Both offer the same features. If anything one should go
away and they should be combined.

> But does it do everything that we need?
> (Honest question)

I think so. But I'm biased, I only have two perfectly working systems
implementing this approach.

-jon

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous