ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Stevens <...@latchkey.com>
Subject Re: Ant2 logging
Date Thu, 10 May 2001 02:05:58 GMT
on 5/9/01 6:32 PM, "Diane Holt" <holtdl@yahoo.com> wrote:

> If that's the case, then I'm completely lost -- so can you (or anyone
> else) take me back a step and explain what it is that -is- being
> discussed? Are you talking about replacing/changing the way the log()
> stuff in the source-files is done (I thought the only thing we were
> looking to do with that was to internationalize it)? If that is what's
> being discussed, then I guess I must have missed the beginning, so could
> someone say (in non-flammable, non-Java-centric terms) what the ideas are
> for how/why it should be changed? (Or if you want to just point me to
> something in the archives or the docs to read, that'd be fine.)

I want to be able to have Ant use LogKit or Log4J as the tool that writes
out logging information (how it is formatted to look is another topic
entirely) by simply specifying in some configuration file somewhere at
runtime.

To do that would require a very simple interface and a very simple factory
class and a wrapper around whatever logging system you want to use. I have
done two implementations of this technique and they work wonderfully.

Peter wants to make it so that Ant can *only* use LogKit and not give people
the choice because he thinks his undocumented alpha quality software (his
words) that has a history of breaking backwards compatibility is the best
stuff since sliced bread.

:-)

You make the decision. 

-jon