ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Stevens <...@latchkey.com>
Subject Re: jakarta-avalon-logkit
Date Wed, 09 May 2001 23:34:02 GMT
on 5/9/01 3:54 PM, "Peter Donald" <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:

> You must hate it when the truth gets in the way of your trolling. Have a
> look at avalons list and you will see that the change was -1'ed and backed
> out.

Peter. It was the fact that the code that broke other code went in in the
first place.

I only care about your concern about the concept of deprecation, not the
fact that you were caught and told to fix things (or that you even provided
a patch to Velocity to fix things).

Things you haven't gotten through your skull yet is:

#1. At least, Conor, myself and Stefan all want a pluggable system. So, your
arguing a point which is moot. This proposal isn't going to go through. You
do not have the right to change my (or anyone else's) vote to -0 or anything
else. I have provided an alternative solution which solves the problem. My
-1 on a hard dependency on LogKit stands. End of discussion, you are not
going to change my mind or my vote. Creating a small wrapper and interface
is not an ugly design nor is it this huge amount of work. I have done it
twice now and it was trivially easy and you can't convince me (or any other
right minded person) otherwise.

#2. Deprecation is not about fixing what people catch you breaking. It is
about taking an active stance to ensure that your code will work into the
future. Sending patches to a group that is using your code isn't enough.
What about all the tons of other people you claim are using LogKit or the
people you don't even know about?

-jon

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous