ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Siberski, Wolf" <Wolf.Siber...@tui.de>
Subject RE: [Vote] ProjectBuilder abstraction
Date Mon, 14 May 2001 08:10:15 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:
> At 07:34  13/5/01 +1000, Conor MacNeill wrote:
> >OK,
> >
> >-1.
> >
> >I don't see the need to abstract this into an interface.
>
> How do you propose to do xslt/css/velocity/other sources to build
projects?
> DO you think that we should allow people to do this sort of thing? If not
> why not? If so - how do you propose we do it in a clean manner?
>
> > The proposal in myrmidon has a Project builder interface with one method
> >
> >build(File)
> >
> >I'm not sure builds will be coming from a File. They may be from a URL, a
> >GUIProjectModel, JackSprattProjectRepository, who knows? Why not just say
> >the execution engine operates on a Project instance and how that project
> >instance is created is outside the scope of the execution engine. It is
the
> >responsibility of the front-end.
>
> right - which is exactly what I am proposing - or at least thats what I
> though ??? I am not proposing we use the interface in myrmidon but that we
> do use the concept. (I think we could build in same way that JNDI
> InitialContextFactorys work).

Is voting about such a design issue really the right approach?

My suggestion would be to just wait and see where we need this
plugin capability. For example, as Antidote will allow
users not only to load, but also to change and save projects,
a general ProjectBuilder interface probably won't be the right
solution for this context. For a command line interface
I can imagine it will make life easier.
But as it isn't a lot of work to refactor this; therefore we can
start simple and introduce it later when the need arises.

[from another mail:]
> Just reminding peeps that there is a few votes that didn't get discussed
> ... I would like it if everyone gave their opinions on these before I
added
> new topics ;)

I think for most committers (and non-committers) it is much
easier to argue about an implemented proposal than on a design
idea. That may be the reason that some of Your other mails
didn't get a lot of replies.

Wolf