ant-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Vernum <Tim.Ver...@macquarie.com.au>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] Ant2 Files/FIleSets/Cullers (long)
Date Fri, 04 May 2001 14:13:41 GMT
This is a little delayed, but I've been meaning to wade through
the (long) proposal for a while.

From: David Rees [mailto:reesd.l@ubiqsoft.com]

> On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 14:22:01 +1000, Peter Donald wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >Excellent - someone else who agrees with the things I been
> preaching about
> >for ages ;)
> >

> Well that is a gratifying way to start a response ;).

FWIW, I agree. This is very much what I'm looking for also.

Our use case started as I wanted a simple way to define
the contents of the <lib> element for a war file.
Our existing build file says that anything in directory
 "./opt/" is included, but thats a bit ugly.
A person might be building 10 apps, each in their own WAR,
and each war might share the same support libs.
We would like to be able to provide a text file that
specifies which jar files to add.
To do this currently requires pre-processing on buildfile.
That might be a reasonable way to do it, but when you think
about it, there's no reason why a fileset should be defined
as a directory + patternset, a predfined list of files should
be equally usable.
Once you take that step, you end up getting something close
to David's proposal.

> >>The problem is that there is no way
> >>(that I know) to indicate the "name" of included element. For
> >>instance, in the following contrived example here is no way to
> >>indicate
> >>
> >><CopyAndDelete>
> >>  <FileSet ... /> "files to copy"
> >>  <FileSet ... /> "files to delete"
> >></CopyAndDelete>
> >
> >Sure you can you can just name them different things in the
> set/add/create
> >methods ;)
> >

> If I am understanding you, you are suggesting that you would have a
> setCopyFileSet() and setDeleteFileSet() and the XML would look like
> <CopyAndDelete>
> <CopyFileSet ... /> "files to copy"
> <DeleteFileSet ... /> "files to delete"
> </CopyAndDelete>
> the problem I see with that is that there is no way to use a sub-type.
> The set/add/create methods currently (IMO) do not distinguish between
> type and attribute/sub-element name.

There is if you use refids, which was how I thought of doing it.

<ftp-fileset id="ftp-apache-org">
  <ftp host="ftp.apache.org">
     <mget pattern="*.*"/>
  </ftp>
</ftp-fileset>

<CopyAndDelete>
 <CopyFileSet refid="ftp-apache-org"/>
 <DeleteFileSet refid="tmp-files/>
</CopyAndDelete>

> >>5	AntFile
> >....snip Virtual File System blurb...
> >
> >There is one included with the opensource version of forte
> > IIRC (forget name of project atm)

netbeans

> The Sun WebNFS proposal has support at the URL level which plugs
> nicely into the above and also has an "XFile" proposal which might be
> close to what we want. I will take a look at it and report back. For
> some reason the download isn't working this evening.
> http://www.sun.com/software/webnfs/ds-webnfs.html

Any word?

I personally don't care if/how a VFS is implemented, just as long
as a fileset is no longer tied to a physical directory + files,
and it is possible to code new fileset types if needed.