ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Tilly <JTi...@hoteltools.com>
Subject RE: if and unless attributes for all Tasks
Date Tue, 15 May 2001 17:16:21 GMT
Am I the only person that thinks conditional flow control using XML is just
a Bad Thing(tm)?  Flow control == processing and we already have excellent
processing languages.

A target is a "piece of work".  If that piece of work depends on other
pieces of work, we define that in dependencies.  Everything in this design
is pass/fail,  Like a transaction.  If/unless attempts to add a tiered
conditional process tree on top of this pass/fail concept.  This is not what
a target (or should I say *my* opinion of what a target) should be.

If the desire is so strong for Ant to be a cross-platform build scripting
language, why can't we just implement a subset of Python for Ant2 and quit
trying to kludge scripting into XML?

MrT