ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Vogel <pvo...@arsin.com>
Subject RE: inconsistency in top-level items; automatic init. task?
Date Mon, 21 May 2001 20:20:10 GMT
I agree that the inconsistency sucks.  For example, if you want
an "init" target that defines all the properties, you are screwed
if you want to set up a referenceable path because <path> is not
a valid subelement of <target>, so you have to define the <path>
as a subelement of <project> and that implies that all the properties
needed by <path> (i.e. directory properties used in filesets)
have to also be subelements of <project> so they come out of
the <init> target.

Personally, I think things should work like this:

<property> values defined in a target should take effect
for the duration of that target, while properties defined
outside of all targets take effect for the duration of
the build.  This is especially relevant if you take my
suggestion that there should be an "export" attribute on
the property element to indicate that the property should be
an environment variable for the subprocesses invoked by
ant.  It allows an environment to be augmented by per-target
properties, while the top-level environment is defined where
it should be.

To an extent, this can obviate the need for the <classpath>
element, and start to move ant out of the java-centric world
it currently exists in.  If I want the classpath to be
something from a <path> I defined at the toplevel, I could
do this:
	<property name=CLASSPATH valueref="project.classpath" export=true>

Something like this would  go a long way to making ant a more
flexible and powerful tool while doing away with a whole bunch
of inconsistencies that currently exist w.r.t which elements
are permitted where (for example, the <depend> task seems to not
like a nested <classpath> element in 1.3).

-Peter
--
Peter A. Vogel
Manager+consultant, Configuration Management