ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Vogel <pvo...@arsin.com>
Subject Another gripe: <path>
Date Thu, 17 May 2001 07:29:54 GMT
O.K.  So here's my gripe, I'd like to be able to define a single
classpath for use everywhere, cool, I can do this:

<project ...>
   <path id="project.classpath">
	<pathelement .../>
      <fileset ...>
	</fileset>
   </path>

   <target ...>
	<javac ...>
	    <classpath pathref="project.classpath"/>
	</javac>
   </target>
</project>

However, because I cannot define properties outside of a target
(or can I?) I cannot reference a property (say, the install
directory of oracle) to use within the path definition (i.e.:
	<pathelement location="${oracle}/jdbc/lib/classes12.zip"/>)

It is this sort of inconsistency in the ant DTD (I know, it's
not really a DTD) which gives me the shakes.

It's frustrating, because I can feel the underlying elegance of
ant, but the current implementation (though miles ahead of 1.1)
falls short of truly delivering on that elegance, with the ONE
exception of the javac task, which is what "sells" Ant to 99.9%
of the java development community.

-Peter

--
Peter A. Vogel
Manager+consultant, Configuration Management