ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Vogel <pvo...@arsin.com>
Subject RE: if and unless attributes for all Tasks
Date Wed, 16 May 2001 17:48:43 GMT
Heh!  Well said Roger!  The "we don't think its a good
idea, so Ant won't include it" is one of the reasons I
am hesitant to recommend Ant, despite the great leaps forward
that have happened since I started following ant at 1.1.

I've been architecting builds for over a decade now, using
a variety of tools (Make, Cons, Perl wrapped around Make, ant,
etc.) and there are some fundamental capabilities that are
*necessary* to ensuring reproducible builds (which is the
whole point of CM) which Ant simply lacks, environment
encapsulation being one of them, a cleaner way of
doing conditionals being another.

I'm a big proponent for a framework that is *simple* when
it can to be simple, and which makes complexity readable
when complexity is needed.  The whole concept of "write a
task to do that" while cool for certain things, is fundamentally
broken for fundamental things like conditionals, etc.
Conditionals in build files are a fact of life in today's
cross-platform software systems, and even in some that aren't
cross platform, but which need to be configurable at
build time.

That said, Ant is still a pretty cool tool, and I use it when
its appropriate, but I do get pretty annoyed by the "we're
smarter than you" attitude from many of the ant development
community that seems to consider anything that smacks of
"complexity" as evil.  Go design an ant-based build of a
system consisting of 2M lines of code that produces 4 different
products with 90% of the components being shared across those
products and then tell me what features should or should not
be in the product.

-Peter
--
Peter A. Vogel
Manager+consultant, Configuration Management