ant-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Barclay <Daniel.Barc...@digitalfocus.com>
Subject Re: [DISC] details of task library concept
Date Wed, 23 May 2001 14:39:03 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

> Ages ago I suggested a manifest attribute
>
> Ant-Class-Path: foo.jar
>
> This would search all the entries in "ant.lib.path" and "ant.tsk.path" to
> find foo.jar. This was the only mod I needed to do all complicated
> inheritance etc. (though I had to manually throw an exception if the
> dependency DAG had classes that depended on incompatible versions etc).

See if the Java package versioning system can be used for that.
(See http://www.java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/versioning/ .)

It provides for providing an abstract name and version numbers for an
abstract package (not a Java package name but chunk of things in a Jar
file).

I thought it provided for listing depended-on packages, but maybe I'm
confusing it with the extension loading mechanism and Jar file manifest
Class-path: headers.

Ant could use the regular class path (maybe with $ANT_HOME/ext/* included)
to find Jar files, and use package versioning to identify what was found,
and then use dependencies (in package versioning if it does support
dependencies, or your proposed manifest attribute modified to use abstract
package names instead of concrete Jar file names) to load everything
needed.

Daniel
--
Daniel Barclay