ant-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Barclay <Daniel.Barc...@digitalfocus.com>
Subject Re: executing task for each file in file set
Date Tue, 22 May 2001 20:25:02 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> Daniel Barclay <Daniel.Barclay@digitalfocus.com> wrote:
>
> > Is the usual expectation that a system using Ant build files would
> > contain a copy of Ant bundled with all the particular add-ons used
> > by those build files?
> >
> > Or is there any expection of writing build files that use only
> > standard features so those build files can run on any base
> > (uncustomized) Ant installation?
>
> I'd expect something in between. Tasks that are specific to a special
> environment will be shipping together with that system (like FOP ships
> with its own XSLT task right now for example).  Whether they build
> them in some prepare target or provide them in binary form doesn't
> matter that much.
>
> For all the other cases I guess we'll find a way to specify task
> libraries that are not local and allow users to define they already
> have a particular library installed on their system.

Actually, I wasn't asking in relation to task libraries.

I was asking more about how solid a set of standard features Ant tries
to provide.

(Obviously, Ant provides a lot, but with its inconsistencies and
limitations and the frequent suggestions to just write custom tasks for
(arguably) generally-useful features made me wonder what the philosophy
of the designers was and whether arguing for cleaning up various features
would be likely enough to be successful to be worth the effort.)

Daniel
--
Daniel Barclay
Digital Focus