ant-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Barclay <Daniel.Barc...@digitalfocus.com>
Subject Re: [RESULT] multithrading
Date Thu, 17 May 2001 18:21:41 GMT
Diane Holt wrote:

> --- Daniel Barclay <Daniel.Barclay@digitalfocus.com> wrote:
> > What if two lists list the same depended-on targets but in different
> > orders?
> >
> > (Target A depends on X and target A depends on Y.  You can't list them
> > without choosing an order, so you happen to pick "X, Y".  Target B
> > depends on target Y.  Target B also depends on target X.  You happen
> > to write "Y, X".
> >
> > For "ant A B", do you build X or Y first? There is no answer if you
> > must follow the order in which they're listed, because you can't
> > say "_the_ order in which they're listed," because they're listed in
> > more than one order.
>
> Sure there is. Given 'ant A B', it'll run X,Y,A,Y,X,B; running 'ant B A'
> runs Y,X,B,X,Y,A.

Ant builds X and Y twice?

(Am I mixing up my memory of how make works with my new (and not-yet-
completely-learned) knowledge of Ant?  I though Ant analyzed dependencies
and avoided building targets that had already been build.  Does it not
do that?)

> 1. I don't have a problem with requiring a build-file writer to know what
> order things should get built in -- if they don't know that, then they
> shouldn't be writing the build-file :)

No--the build-file writer has to know the individual dependencies.  They
shouldn't have to figure out a complete ordering that satisfies all the
partial orders.

Daniel
--
Daniel Barclay