ant-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Barclay <Daniel.Barc...@digitalfocus.com>
Subject Re: if and unless attributes for all Tasks
Date Thu, 17 May 2001 15:32:10 GMT
Michael McCallum wrote:

> Why not use the script task?

Would one issue be that the ability to run a build file would depend
on having the scripting framework and the particular script language
installed?  (Compared to having <code...> and Java as a standard feature.)

Does the philosophy of Ant include trying to write build files using
standard features so Ant build files are more portable (e.g., so I
can build some open-source system by processing that system's Ant
build file using my Ant installation).

Or is the Ant philosphy that the system should come with a copy of
Ant, with all add-ons (standard optional features and custom tasks,
at least in source form) already included?

(I'm trying to understand this compared to make.  Make doesn't have
explicit add-ons, but of course any command you execute via a make
file could be and implicit add-on, something that the recipient doesn't
already have and must add to his or her environment.)

Daniel
--
Daniel Barclay
Digital Focus