ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael McCallum" <mich...@spinsoftware.com>
Subject RE: if and unless attributes for all Tasks
Date Wed, 16 May 2001 22:35:09 GMT
Why not use the script task?

On 16 May 2001, at 14:36, Jason_Henriksen@providian.com wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Roger Vaughn and I have been discussing XML as a flow control language and
> I've come up with a compromise that I'm considering taking a stab at
> writing.  I want to bounce the idea off all of you before I invest a pile
> of time into an idea that one of you might be able to easily debunk.
>
> I feel that XML is a very poor language for describing conditionals.  All
> the arguments seem to show that.  I suggest a new task called 'code' that
> would work something like this:
>
>  <target name="make">
>    <code>
>          if(true){
>            callTarget("compile");
>          }
>    </code>
>  </target>
>
> My task would then take all of the Java between the code tags, put it into
> a TempTaskN.java file, compile it, load the class then call the task just
> like any other.  Basically, the code tag is just a scriptlet in the
> build.xml.
>
> To my thinking this has the following advantages:
>      - It doesn't break the current design and architecture
>      - It takes advantage of the fact that we already have a very nice
> language and compiler,
>           we should not have to build another one
>      - Because tasks in this context tend to be one-off, non-reusable bits
> of code, it is
>           really nice to keep the task code in the same file as the rest of
> the build.
>      - The java in the code block could call the other tasks, but still
> have all of the
>           flexibility of Java
>
> My most optimistic hope is that I can write this into a regular task, and
> ANT itself would not have to change at all.
>
> Can any of you think of a reason this wouldn't work?  If not, I'm going to
> try coding it next week and I've got some scraps of free time coming.
>
> Let me know what you think, and thank's to Roger for the discussion about
> it.
>
>                                                         Jason Henriksen

> Warning : The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential
and protec
ted from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are
hereby no
tified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited
. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying
to thi
s message and then delete it from your computer. All e-mail sent to this address will be received
y the Providian Financial corporate e-mail system and is subject to archiving and review by
someone
 other than the recipient.