ant-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Barclay <Daniel.Barc...@digitalfocus.com>
Subject Re: [RESULT] multithrading
Date Wed, 16 May 2001 18:05:26 GMT
Diane Holt wrote:
> As to whether targets listed in the "depends" attribute should be executed
> in the order of the list -- as long as we're allowing a list to be
> specified, it'd be counter-intuitive (read: wrong :) to have it not do
> that.

No it wouldn't (be wrong).

What if two lists list the same depended-on targets but in different
orders?

(Target A depends on X and target A depends on Y.  You can't list them
without choosing an order, so you happen to pick "X, Y".  Target B
depends on target Y.  Target B also depends on target X.  You happen
to write "Y, X".

For "ant A B", do you build X or Y first?  There is no answer if you
must follow the order in which they're listed, because you can't
say "_the_ order in which they're listed," because they're listed in
more than one order.

(I don't think you'd want to require all lists to list them in a
compatible order.  That would require the user to figure out a complete
ordering that satisfies all partial ordering requirements.  That's
something the tool should continue doing.)

)

I don't think the order of a dependency list should be relevant (except
possibly as a default, or as a way it happens to work on which you shouldn't
rely).

If targets named in the list have some dependency, that dependency should
be specified explicitly in those targets' dependencies.

Daniel
--
Daniel Barclay
Digital Focus