ant-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Barclay <>
Subject Re: [RESULT] multithrading
Date Wed, 16 May 2001 18:05:26 GMT
Diane Holt wrote:
> As to whether targets listed in the "depends" attribute should be executed
> in the order of the list -- as long as we're allowing a list to be
> specified, it'd be counter-intuitive (read: wrong :) to have it not do
> that.

No it wouldn't (be wrong).

What if two lists list the same depended-on targets but in different

(Target A depends on X and target A depends on Y.  You can't list them
without choosing an order, so you happen to pick "X, Y".  Target B
depends on target Y.  Target B also depends on target X.  You happen
to write "Y, X".

For "ant A B", do you build X or Y first?  There is no answer if you
must follow the order in which they're listed, because you can't
say "_the_ order in which they're listed," because they're listed in
more than one order.

(I don't think you'd want to require all lists to list them in a
compatible order.  That would require the user to figure out a complete
ordering that satisfies all partial ordering requirements.  That's
something the tool should continue doing.)

I don't think the order of a dependency list should be relevant (except
possibly as a default, or as a way it happens to work on which you shouldn't

If targets named in the list have some dependency, that dependency should
be specified explicitly in those targets' dependencies.

Daniel Barclay
Digital Focus

View raw message