ant-dev mailing list archives

From Alan George <al...@hereuare.com>
Subject Re: if and unless attributes for all Tasks
Date Tue, 15 May 2001 19:46:08 GMT
I agree that an 'XML scripting language' is a bad idea.  But on the other hand,
having 'some' conditional processing in a build tool could be a good thing.  In
fact there is already 'some' conditional processing features available in ant
(e.g. the target's if and unless, the available task, dependencies, etc.).
Using the strict 'no XML scripting language' argument, these features should be
removed.  To create a build environment that is generic enough to handle
multiple products and concurrent revisions and do this with ant requires some
scripting language like features.  If ant can't make some of these decisions at
run time, it loses a lot of value.  Or maybe I am expecting too much from ant.

<my .02>
XML is a data format meta language, ant needs to know how to build
something...  Maybe the 'instructions' on how to build, package, test, deploy
something isn't 'data' it's 'instructions'.  XML is convenient to parse, but
that doesn't mean it should be used for everything.
</my .02>

-alan