ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Dale G. Herrig" <dale_her...@agilent.com>
Subject Re: proposed fix, java files always compile
Date Wed, 09 May 2001 00:16:31 GMT
Nico Seessle wrote:

> [...]

Thanks for replying. I have included a  mytest.jar file
that causes the compile "all the time." problem.

First, it's important
to know that I have some requirements  that maybe  Ant
doesn't support, here they are:

#1.   The classes must compile to the same directory
        as the java src files.

#2.   The build.xml "must reside" in the "same directory"
         as the java src files.

Here's how to do the test as I did it, you will need to
change the  directory name "/home/dgh1/the_ant_test"
to where you install.

> cd /home/dgh1/the_ant_test
>  jar -xvf mytest.jar

This will create  a subdirectory:
  de/seessle/p1

> cd de/seessle/p1

This has the "build.xml" as in above requirement #2
If you look at  build.xml you will see that I set up
"destdir" with the same as "classpath". This forces the
class files to be put in this directory as per requirement #1.

Now everytime you do:

> ant

It will always compile the files.

There is one more requirement, that is,  files
should only recompile if:

a.)  The java src is newer than the corresponding class
b.)  The corresponding class for the  java src is not there.

Again, I real appreciate your help and hope there is
a easy way to config the build.xml  to meet the above
requirements, without using my patch to the Javac.java file.