ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Configure->Template->Build
Date Thu, 31 May 2001 12:01:00 GMT
At 12:36 PM 5/31/01 +0100, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
>Well, this would not work for languages like Java. In Java, due to inner
>classes, the .class files depend not only on the .java files but also on the
>actual content of those files, so you cannot pre-compute it statically (not
>completely accurate).

Ant should not try to work around baldy laid out directory trees. Besides
which the person who laid out them badly is responsible for doing the
mapping. They may have a good reason to do absurd things - in which case
they can hack at ugly scripts.

>So you cannot use a statically computed list to, for
>example, tell what to put in a JAR. If you do that you will miss inner
>classes.

But you can do patterns that match them real simple. What you can't do is
match non-public classes mixed in other source files. However ant doesn't
really support this usecase now anyway ... so not sure what your objection is.

>I think the problem is the usage of patterns designed originally for MAKE. I
>think ANT needs different patterns, not sure what they are, but I think that
>when we discover them, we will see they are different.

well as soon as you come up with something that is tenable get back to us ;)

Cheers,

Pete