ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Configure->Template->Build
Date Thu, 31 May 2001 10:50:48 GMT
At 11:53 AM 5/31/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>Peter Donald <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Nope - only those who need the power will use it. Most people can
>> live within bounds of current day ant.
>
>I'm not sure that this is true.  Every now and then there is somebody on
>ant-user who asks how he could compile more than one file.  Give them
>the documentation of javac (which is good in explaining what the task
>does IMHO) and document that describes how to invoke the same task
>over and over again while looping over a set of files - what are they
>going to chose?

I am not following you here ;) I would choose the first approach.

>I thought that would become an aspect?

good point - bad example.

>How could this work if the files/directories in question are not there
>at configure time but created during the build time - or the build
>deletes other files?

Almost all of these can be statically generated from precursor products.
For instance in many makefiles you build static lists of .o files in an
output directory even though they are generated at runtime. I can not think
of a legitimate reason not to have static mapping - can you ?

Cheers,

Pete