ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Converter Area of Concern
Date Tue, 29 May 2001 09:06:23 GMT
At 10:30 AM 5/29/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>Peter Donald <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Whos concern is the converter?
>
>Just a short nomenclature check, what is "the converter" you are
>talking about.  Something that translates Strings to Objects for
>attribute setters?  Something that translates Objects to Strings for
>${} expansions?

yup.

>> 1. Ant User - uses only built in tasks and only in common ways
>> 2. Task File writer - Can write tasks for Ant for custom things
>> 3. Advanced Build Manager - ie like GUMP that has specific global
>>    needs
>> 4. Modded-Ant Users - ie who alter fundamental workings of Ant
>> 5. Ant Embedded user
>>
>> Writing Aspects belong to role (3)
>
>And - to a certain extent - to (2) (4) and (5) as well, depends on the
>specific Aspect.

Could you expand on this point. I am not sure where I see this this being
part of (2).

Oh and I should mention that I assume high numbered points assume the
points below it ;)

>> My current beliefe is that Converters along with ProjectBuilders
>> (and any stacked processors like XSLT/Configurer/Velocity/etc)
>> belong in (4).
>
>Not entirely, at least for the two interpretations I've given, they
>belong to (2) as well.  If I define a new task/type, I may need a
>custom converter.

Possibly but should we allow/encourage that sort of action?

>> So I propose that we separate out (2-3) and (4-5) so as to make it
>> clearer.
>
>Haven't looked at your new code yet, sorry.

Don't for a while as I haven't got it to a good state yet ;)

>What does an embeddor do?

Embeddor is the interface you interact with to embed ant in your own
application. "emdeddor" is also the role of the person who wishes to embed
ant in their own application (or a new frontend).

>So far more than an open API for (5) has been out of the scope of Ant
>for me.

right.

Cheers,

Pete