ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Converter Area of Concern
Date Tue, 29 May 2001 06:54:56 GMT
Hi,

Just been poking about again and I was wondering.

Whos concern is the converter? There is a few roles I see in using ant.

1. Ant User - uses only built in tasks and only in common ways
2. Task File writer - Can write tasks for Ant for custom things
3. Advanced Build Manager - ie like GUMP that has specific global needs
4. Modded-Ant Users - ie who alter fundamental workings of Ant
5. Ant Embedded user

Task API and ProjectListeners definetly belong in role (2).

Writing Aspects belong to role (3)

My current beliefe is that Converters along with ProjectBuilders (and any
stacked processors like XSLT/Configurer/Velocity/etc) belong in (4). I
believe Converters are here rather than along with (2) or (3) as they alter
which tasks can be used in Ant runtime and will rarely be altererd by those
who just want to build stuff.

So I propose that we separate out (2-3) and (4-5) so as to make it clearer.
Currently I am separating it out like

org.apache.ant.foo.* for (2-3) where foo is particular feature like
listeners, model, aspect etc.

org.apache.ant.component.foo.* for (4-5) where foo is particular feature
like executor, converter, embeddor etc.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Pete