ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISC] details of task library concept
Date Wed, 23 May 2001 14:58:16 GMT
At 10:27 AM 5/23/01 -0400, Daniel Barclay wrote:
>Peter Donald wrote:

>> >My point on the description issue is that I do not think ANT should force
>> >people to use some particular documentation mechanism or standard. Not
>> >JavaHelp, nor HTML nor anything else. That should be upto the task
writer to
>> >decide how it should be provided.
>>
>> why not. Javadocs works well, is relatively universal and I think java is
>> better off with it. Much like ant will be better off with antdoc.
>
>But Javadoc is for Java.  How would it work for task descriptions (as
>in the Ant User Manual)?

Not sure what you mean. I envision something like

File: org.apache.ant.lib.jdk.myjavac.xml
<task>
 <!-- default name/namespace sucked out of taskdef.xml -->
 <description>
  MyJavac is a task to do blah blah blah.
 </description>

 <structure>
   <attribute name="foo" required="true" type="int">
     Foo is attribute to define the fooiness of MyJavac.
   </attribute>

   <!-- ???? == number of times occuring - forget term for it atm -->
   <element name="blah" ??????="1" type="org.apache.ant.framework.FileSet">

     Blah is good for specifying the input blah of MyJavac.

     <attribute name="someAttribute" required="true" type="boolean">
       Another attribute...
     </attribute>

   </attribute>

 </structure>

 <use>
   <annotation>This is how you use MyJavac<annontation>
   <example>
     <!-- maybe we can skip CDATA requirement????-->
     <![CDATA[
     <jdk:myjavac foo="2.0">
       <blah someAttribute="true"/>
       <blah someAttribute="true"/>