ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [DISC] details of task library concept
Date Wed, 23 May 2001 11:52:40 GMT
At 12:37 PM 5/23/01 +0100, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
>How do you find the classes used in your task's code.

<classpath /> sub element.

>Today there are plenty
>of tasks that make calls or inherit from the classes of other tasks: <java>
>uses the code from <exec> when fork="yes". And plenty more examples.

yup - most of these will be moved into a "task-framework" section (think
turbine to servlets is ant framework to ant API). We have to define a clean
framework because that way we don't have some tasks relying on other tasks
etc.

>There
>is no reason to forbid a task developer from calling in their tasks, other
>tasks provided in other libraries. You will have to be able to especify
>where these other classes are when you load the classes for the new task,
>and not when you configure the task.

The runtime deals with task proxies/TOM/etc and thus a task will not ever
gain access to the other task instances.

>Transformation only help for the fixed info or the look&feel. But we would
>have to define maintain, etc, the basic things people need to be able to
>specify. It is just like javadoc "param" and "exceptions", and "the short
>one liner description" and "the long elaborated description", and how do I
>*emphasize this" and so on.
>
>I think it is the wrong sac of beans for us to be spending time at. But hey,
>I have no veto power ....

It's not that hard - have a look at all docs for tasks - they are
relatively similar to each other. All we need is a simple DTD and then
generation, indexing (including separation between one-liners etc) is done
outside this. I believe it will actually reduce our workload rather than
the reverse. You should know now I am lazy and wouldn't commit to doing
something that would be more work ;]

Cheers,

Pete