ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [DISC] details of task library concept
Date Wed, 23 May 2001 11:03:13 GMT
At 11:30 AM 5/23/01 +0100, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
>> From: Peter Donald [mailto:donaldp@apache.org]
>>
>> >So, how do I refer in the jar Class-Path to a jars and
>> derectories relative
>> >to my build directory?
>>
>> you don't
>>
>> >Or are you telling me that <tasks> in libraries
>> >cannot use anything that resides on my projects directory structure?
>>
>> yup.
>>

>Well I guess we will have to get rid of the SQLExec task.
>Since we won't be able to tell it where to find the several JDBC drivers
>I need to test againt. :-(

nope. It will be configured just like all task attributes. One of our goals
was to eliminate things like this. So just like you are able to configure
the java compiler to be jikes/modern/classic you will be able to configure
task so it uses mysql/db2/oracles jdbc driver.

>Tasks today REQUIRE scuch things, javac.exe require such things. You need to
>be able to tell the compiler where your libraries are -classpath, and it
>also allows for you to tell it where extensins are, where your JDK classes
>are, etc, etc. There is no reason why other tasks or group of tasks will not
>require the same.

and how are these different from any of the other attributes?

>> why not. Javadocs works well, is relatively universal and I
>> think java is
>> better off with it. Much like ant will be better off with antdoc.
>>
>Javadoc, has an entire dedicated development team. I do not want jakarta-ant
>to become a documentation-tool group. We need to be focus. I do not want to
>be on endless discussion and bug fixes about antdoc not generating correct
>PDF files, or about how can I add a multiline copyright statement on every
>screen, "my logo does not show up as I want", etc, etc. There are plenty of
>other projects tackling those issues.

This has nothing to do with that sort of thing. We define a simple DTD and
they get to transform it in any way they want to using whatever method they
feel like. We don't have to support anything but our core transformer.

Cheers,

Pete