ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: executing task for each file in file set
Date Wed, 23 May 2001 04:31:23 GMT
At 04:25 PM 5/22/01 -0400, Daniel Barclay wrote:
>I was asking more about how solid a set of standard features Ant tries
>to provide.
>
>(Obviously, Ant provides a lot, but with its inconsistencies and
>limitations and the frequent suggestions to just write custom tasks for
>(arguably) generally-useful features made me wonder what the philosophy
>of the designers was and whether arguing for cleaning up various features
>would be likely enough to be successful to be worth the effort.)

I say go for it ;)

Try to think of it in a similar way to design of servlets. There is a
servlet API and numerous servlet frameworks (I think we need one more +1 to
make the distinction official though).

We will probably have a Task API (similar to Servlet API) and a task
framework (similar to turbine/struts/other). The task framework is where
all the "work" is done like defining filesets, filtersets etc. As far as I
am concerned we should clean up all tasks to use same conventions and reuse
framework where possible.

Cheers,

Pete