ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: executing task for each file in file set
Date Wed, 23 May 2001 04:28:48 GMT
At 10:35 AM 5/22/01 -0400, Daniel Barclay wrote:
>Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>> Ant2 will give task developers the infrastructure to write a foreach
>> task (like J.D.'s) by allowing tasks to be nested into other tasks.
>>
>> While I doubt that a <foreach> or <switch> task will make it into
>> Ant's core, they are certainly going to be written.
>
>What is Ant's (or, rather, the developers' (or maybe users')) philosophy
>regarding portability of Ant scripts?
>
>Is the usual expectation that a system using Ant build files would contain
>a copy of Ant bundled with all the particular add-ons used by those build
>files?

for Ant1 - yes.

>Or is there any expection of writing build files that use only standard
>features so those build files can run on any base (uncustomized) Ant
>installation?   (I don't necessarily mean eschewing (wow, I don't usually
>think of that word) custom tasks, but maybe building and defining them
>in the build files instead of just assuming or requiring that they be
>present.)

for Ant2 yes ... maybe. The only exception being that it may be best to
also search in <base>/tasks/*.tsk where <base> is either project base
directory or directory where build file located. This is just to make
things easier for peeps and not sure yet if it should be added in.

Cheers,

Pete