ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: if and unless attributes for all Tasks
Date Mon, 21 May 2001 05:37:36 GMT
At 10:07 AM 5/18/01 -0700, Alan George wrote:
>IMHO, Ant should solve this problem.

luckily your not a committer then eh?

>This kind of thing I have seen many times.

yup.

>If it's not meant to solve this problem, what value does it have.

It was initially designed to be a cross platform build process for tomcat,
nothing more. It grew into something that could build small to medium java
programs (or any extensible build processes - ala basic content generation).

Hopefully Ant2 will be capable of doing large scale builds of any sort (ie
not java specific). A pattern that emerged in make for handwritten build
files was to have at least three make files that are all included together.

1. A rules makefile
2. A data makefile
3. A config makefile

(1) coresponds to the notion of "templates"
(2) could theoretically be anything (in make I used to use the equivelent
of flat properties files) but hopefully by Ant2 it will just be
declarations of properties and datatypes plus maybe a few "actions"/"tasks".
(3) is similar to results generated by autoconf or to hand maintained
~/.ant.properties that are starting to pop up in projects.

Cheers,

Pete