ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: if and unless attributes for all Tasks
Date Wed, 16 May 2001 05:00:18 GMT
At 01:12  16/5/01 +1000, Conor MacNeill wrote:
>IIRC, Duncan was not happy with if and unless attribute at the target level
>but did accept them on
>at least one task, the antcall (or call-target) task
>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-dev&m=97847384004229&w=2
>The whole antcall approach with conditionals, however, seems to me to be
>just as much a layering of conditional logic on top of the target dependency
>model. If anything it seems more complex since I can't see dependencies just
>by looking at the targets - I have to look at the use of antcall within ALL
>the targets. The build structure is no longer immediately evident from the
>targets. This is already a problem with Ant's own build file, IMHO.

if you mean the ant-calls for src and bianry distributions then I agree -
UGLY ;) Though it is better than any alternative I could think of - you ?

>Is writing tasks the right way? I'm not sure that is true.

Could you explain why? ie What do you see wrong with writing a task for
complex build "tasks".

If you are referring to the initial setting of properties and general
autoconf-like features then I agree that writing a task is overkill as most
tests will be project specific. (I believe autoconf should be written in
some scripting language like jython/rhino or another BSF mounted scripting
language). However for the other stuff I think task writing is the WAY to go.

Cheers,

Pete