ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: if and unless attributes for all Tasks
Date Tue, 15 May 2001 23:41:15 GMT
At 01:24  15/5/01 -0700, Roger Vaughn wrote:
>This does not, however, eliminate the need for
>conditionals at a higher level of abstraction.  Also,
>I have several times had to use the uptodate task
>paired with the if/unless conditions to achieve checks
>that are *not* built into Ant - and this is
>conceptually at the *same* level of abstraction of the
>.java/.class checks.

true - but not all of us would encourage you to use uptodate in this
fashion ... some would encourage you to write your own task that did all
this testing internally ;)

>So you don't need conditional checks in your scripts.
>How does that make them bad for everyone?  You have
>not adequately justified your position.  Just because
>you do not need the feature is no reason to cut the
>rest of us off at the knees.  There are many cases
>where this feature is indeed necessary - including the
>script that builds Ant itself.

In those cases you should be writing tasks - not complicating the core.
Since the begining of ant the prime idea has been to push complexity and
scripting down to task level.

Cheers,

Pete