ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant2 logging
Date Thu, 10 May 2001 05:52:29 GMT
At 09:55  9/5/01 -0700, Steve Loughran wrote:
>This seems a bit of tangential religious issue, but since i was adding a
>skinny facade to my own code this week to swap between printing to the
>console and log4j. I do understand why sometimes it is important to be able
>to switch log systems. In this case I did it that way because I wanted a
>redistributable version with minimal dependencies.

true but thats only if you want pluggable outputting - we want the other
stuff primarily (UI, hierarchies, priorities etc) so will need to include
that regardless. Out output will be to ProjectListener which will perform
all the writing etc.

>My preference would be that logging would be something provided by the
>container executing the tasks; we could have the base heirarchy hand off the
>actual output to some logging tool, I don't care which, as long as it is
>skinny. Except that when Java1.5 adds logging we should eventually migrate
>over to that framework. If the base logging framework does heirarchies and
>things for free, then we've just saved a lot of work.

It will be in java1.4 in java.util.logging - but unfrotunately thats a
while off now ;(

>Incidentally Jon, one comment of yours I do agree wholeheartedly is
>"HttpUrlConnection is even worse." Isn't it about time we came up with a
>decent apache branded re-implementation of this class that actually works
>the way people want?

try commons - there was a httpclient being implemented there ... I suspect
it could be adapted to your needs.

Cheers,

Pete