ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant2 logging
Date Thu, 10 May 2001 04:38:22 GMT
Feeding trolls is fun - especially when given enough rope they strangle
themselves ....

One thing I am disapointed about though is that in no circumstances would I
EVER intentionally say something that I know is false.

At 07:05  9/5/01 -0700, Jon Stevens wrote:
>I want to be able to have Ant use LogKit or Log4J as the tool that writes
>out logging information (how it is formatted to look is another topic
>entirely) by simply specifying in some configuration file somewhere at
>runtime.

This has nothing to do with the discussion at hand - both will be possible
in whatever system we use (Thou I would recomend against both unless
writing ant inside embedded environment).

>To do that would require a very simple interface and a very simple factory
>class and a wrapper around whatever logging system you want to use. I have
>done two implementations of this technique and they work wonderfully.

as I have indicated - I don't think you understand ants requirements. How
would your system deal with threading and hierarchy?

>Peter wants to make it so that Ant can *only* use LogKit and not give people
>the choice because he thinks his undocumented alpha quality software (his
>words) that has a history of breaking backwards compatibility is the best
>stuff since sliced bread.

Luckily that "undocumented alpha quality software" "that has a history of
breaking backwards compatibility" less than Log4j is about to be documented
and released.

Ironically the log system inside ant won't actually do any logging - It
also won't be the only choice - like all systems that ant is embedded
inside of you will need an adpater to talk from ant to native logging.
Whether this is log4j/logkit/syslog/java.util.logging is largely irrelevent.

Cheers,

Pete