ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Vote] Logging
Date Wed, 09 May 2001 22:56:38 GMT
At 03:46  9/5/01 -0000, Magesh Umasankar wrote:

>>>Why?
>
>>Exactly: Answer why we would need it.
>
>Out there...
>1. ...One Logging App may have a bigger market share
>      than another.

irrelevent.

>2. ...One Logging App may be smaller in size than
>      another.

partially relevent.

>3. ...One Logging App may provide more features than
>      another - something as simple as a Log Roller.

irrelevent. (We won't be using them anyway).

>4. ...One Logging App may have better documentation than
>      another.

partially relevent. But it is easier to write a small how-to rather than
rewrite a facade that will need it's own docs.

>5. ...One Logging App may be faster than another.

irrelevent. (We don't need speed).

>Probably we don't need pluggability *yet*, which would
>make a valid case for not building a facade.  If building a facade is
ruled out, getting back to the original discussion, what features does
LogKit have over Log4J, to make it more appealing to Ant2, other than size?

Simplicity.

Cheers,

Pete