ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Peter's ANT2 design proposals
Date Wed, 09 May 2001 22:45:33 GMT
At 08:19  9/5/01 +0100, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
>autoconfig is garbage, sorry. You finish having two build files. The
>"source" which in is some pseudo language (not ANT's) and the "compiled"
>file which is ANT. Every time you modify anithing you have to remember doing
>it on "source" and regenerate. Every time you modify or add more directories
>or watever you have to regenerate your build file.

yep that tool sucks - doesn't mean have to reimplement it the same way
though ;)

>One of the beauties of ANT is that it eliminates all that crap we had to do
>in make everytime you added a new package to your build. I want a one step
>solution that uses a one conprenhensible file that I can understand and
>maintain. No magic 3 liners that no one has an idea what is doing.

Some people want it - Large projects need it as hand maintaining build
files is a PITA. So for small time projects it is fine to write out full
build file but for massive sprawling projects it becomes less so ...

>I worked in build environments all based on make templates and at the end
>they needed an entire support group to maintain the makefiles. And the worst
>was that very few people understood and use what was in there.
>I will argue that that level of magic is very very bad.

Yep - but the groups who will usually require templating allready have
build/config managers or the like.

>BTW, I do not think <script> is the right tool either. I want a
>"declarative" as much as possible approach. That is simple to read and
>understand and it does not put constraints where they should not be one.

;)

Cheers,

Pete