ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Peter's ANT2 design proposals
Date Wed, 09 May 2001 11:21:44 GMT
At 12:09  9/5/01 +0100, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
>This would be the completly wrong thing to do. If we are going to create yet
>another *Config kind of crap, this is not going to work.
>What I would like, in terms of Ant1 terminology:
>
>(1) to be able to interpose some template facility between the XMLParser
>stream of events and ContentHandler used by project helper.
>
>(2) to read the templating information from either, the build.xml file
>itself, or some local .ant_template.something or both. In other words NO
>COMMAND LINE FLAGS REQUIRED.
>
>Otherwise is useless.

agreed - in the myrmidon proposal I did it on extention of input filename.
The XML inputs could also specify xml processors (rather than text
processors) as Processing Instructions at top of build file. This was the
least invasive way that I could think of doing it.

>Of course, how are these things suppose to do dynamic (e.g., based on
>fileset or some other) kind of expansions is a complete mistery to me. I
>would like to hear from those presenting templates as the solution for all
>scripting issues.

dynamic templating is not really part of build process it is part of
autoconfig stage. As Ant2 probably won't solve this just yet we will most
likely keep the scripty tasks ala AntOn around - hopefully ant3 will kick
this bad idea out for good ;)

Cheers,

Pete