ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <>
Subject Re: [Vote] Logging
Date Wed, 09 May 2001 09:48:14 GMT
At 11:33  9/5/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>Peter Donald <> wrote:
>> I would like to do Ant2 logging with logkit.
>I'm completely with Conor here - logging should be done through
>BuildListeners - feel free to write one for Logkit or Log4J or

I don't know where it got confused but thats not the use of the logging
toolkit. The logging toolkit is meant to act as a log "router" between
tasks and listeners. I have said at least 4 times that the output
Appenders/LogTargets would unlikely to be used ...

>I don't get the point of hierarchical logging, sorry.  TaskContainers
>won't make that any more difficult than subbuilds already do in Ant1 -
>and it is up to the BuildListener to do something with the
>information, that a task is running in a subbuild (the XmlLogger uses
>this info, while the DefaulLogger completly ignores it).

Well try coding it - I am sure you will see my point then ;) Just in case
it is not obvious the use of hierarchial logging is completely and utterly
transparent to ProjectListener - they still see the same events they see
now. It is the magic that occurs before that ... as someone said the best
way to do it is code or at least run through the code in your head. Then
hopefully you will see the difficulties.