ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Vote] Logging
Date Wed, 09 May 2001 07:13:17 GMT
At 11:55  8/5/01 -0700, Jon Stevens wrote:
>> I did looked at last CVS version I had (mid April mod date) ...
>>
>> and I did a line count for logging service vs logkit ...
>> Turbine: 5683
>> LogKit: 2649
>
>Peter, why are you comparing Turbine to LogKit? You are making absolutely no
>sense.

because you pointed me to the loggin facade you built in turbine and how it
is soo good ?

>> riiiiight. You are a bundle of logic aren't you - ask Ceki which he thinks
>> has been more stable over lifetime - should be interesting to see what he
>> saids - no?
>
>Ask him.

I have - wanna guess what his answer was ? ;)

>> Like logkit JDOM is a part that is unlikely to have pluggable
>> implementations - analogous to the Logging JSR and LogKit... like the vast
>> majority of jdk really. But then again everyone else did it wrong - only
>> you know the "one true way" right ?
>
>Peter that is utter bullshit and you know it. Why the heck do you think that
>people are asking for the ability to plug logging systems? Why are you
>completely ignoring that fact?

people ask for a lot of things one of them being dowhile/if tasks in ant
... I am ignoring it because so far no one has given a valid use case -
nothing but religious arguements have out.

>Logging != JDOM

well done - you get a skippy badge for that !

>> I will do it if you will. Then again I don't really expect you to believe
>> in your own "logic" so I guess it is a safe bet for me.
>
>Peter. I want pluggable logging systems and I want Ant to support that. I'm
>strongly -1 on your proposal. End of discussion, it isn't going further.

Sure it is - you need to give a reason for wanting pluggable systems. If
not your vote is moved to a -0 (fun these rules aren't they). SO give me a
use case where it could be vaguely of use to have multiple systems bound to
Ant.

Cheers,

Pete