ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Vote] Logging
Date Wed, 09 May 2001 07:08:50 GMT
At 11:51  8/5/01 -0700, Jon Stevens wrote:
>on 5/8/01 11:26 PM, "Conor MacNeill" <conor@cortexebusiness.com.au> wrote:
>
>> In the .antrc file (or .antrc.xml), we should use introspection to
configure
>> user preferred listeners/loggers.
>
>Ewwww....No! That is what interfaces are for.
>
>Guys, this stuff isn't difficult.
>public interface LogSystem
>{
>    public void logMessage(int level, String message);
>}

Right until we add the convenience methods
debug( String message )
debug( String message, Throwable throwable )
etc

oh - and don't forget we need hierarchial channels/categories because we
have AbstractContainerTask. Add that in and it looks a little different
don't you think ?

>Why is this so difficult for everyone to comprehend and why does Peter think
>that this is re-implementation of stuff??

It isn't difficult for *us* to comprehend - I don't believe you are really
aware of what Ant needs (nice clean hierarchial prioritized logging) and
how the different logging toolkits offer it.

How can it not be reimplementation when we are reinventing everything but
Appenders/LogTargets ? (Note that LogTargets and Appenders are small 1
method interfaces that are trivial to implement).

So basically you are saying that we reimplement all of LogKit except
LogTarget - instead we use a custom interface (thats somehow different from
LogTarget) and use that to bridge between toolkits. Or have I missed
something here ?

And yet you also make the claim that this is not reimplementation?

Cheers,

Pete