ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [Vote] Logging
Date Wed, 09 May 2001 07:07:53 GMT
At 04:26  9/5/01 +1000, Conor MacNeill wrote:
>My take on this funny discussion.
>
>We have an existing conduit from both tasks and the core to the logger and
>that is through build events. I believe there is enough information /
>context in the build event to drive Logkit and Log4J, JDK1.4 JSR logging.
>Therefore I would suggest that these be adapted to Ant as build listeners.
>No other integration should be required. These can then be removed from the
>Ant core altogether.
>
>In the .antrc file (or .antrc.xml), we should use introspection to configure
>user preferred listeners/loggers.
>
>Do we need to have any particular Log stuff in the core?

We basically need a access point to route it between tasks and
ProjectListener. We don't need any of appenders/logtargets/complexity.
However what we do need is subcategories/subloggers for
AbstractTaskContainer. (Oops I knew there was something I left out). This
is where the use of log4j/logkit/logging jsr fits in.

Trying to reimplement hierarchial logging by our selves is stupid in the
extreme. Especially if we are going to bridge it to anything else as we are
really duplicating uneccesary code then.

So instead of rebuilding it ourselves - why don't we use an existing
lightweigh implementation designed for essentially what we want?

Cheers,

Pete