ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Vote] Logging
Date Wed, 09 May 2001 02:24:05 GMT
At 07:03  8/5/01 -0700, Jon Stevens wrote:
>I'm sorry, but this whole logging discussion is just plain stupid and I'm
>sick of hearing it.

well don't listen - no ones forcing you?

>Define a set of interfaces and implement those interfaces with a thin
>wrapper around whatever logging system people want to use.

like you did with turbine? Where those interfaces/classes are larger, more
complex and harder to maintain than an existing toolkit. Kind of defeats
the whole purpose of having a logging toolkit maintained outside the
project don't you think?

>I don't give a shit which tool is better faster or whatever. Just create
>Ant's system to plug in whatever tool you want. You are of course more than
>welcome to adapt what I have done for Velocity and Turbine into Ant.

why add complexity to ant when it is not needed? If anything is "stupid"
about this conversation I think that comment would definetly rate high.

People build toolkits to be reused - could you imagine everytime you wanted
use JDOM you had to create a wrapper around it - and make it generic enough
that it fit other similar toolkits. Stupid - yes I would have to agree.

Cheers,

Pete