ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [Vote] Logging
Date Tue, 08 May 2001 21:41:57 GMT
At 04:48  8/5/01 -0400, Colin Sampaleanu wrote:
>To be fair, the core .jar file from log4j 1.1beta6 is 90k. But I have to
>agree, 90k is not that big, and aside from the size difference I think there
>are some significant advantages to log4j. Aside from the power and speed, a
>lot of people already use it, know it, and trust it.

logkit is faster than log4j and the "power" log4j gives is not power I
would desire from a *logging* toolkit. ie

* What does internationalisation have to do with logging?
* Why use the Stack Introspection hack to get around the fact that code is
poorly designed ? (Using IOC means Stack Introspection is not needed).

About the only potentially useful thing is the object renderers. While a
kewl feature I haven't come across a real life use case for it yet. I
assume there are some but ...

Cheers,

Pete