ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject [Vote] Avalon-Framework integration
Date Tue, 08 May 2001 12:55:35 GMT
Hi,

For those of you who don't know I am a member of the Avalon project. Avalon
is a project that has two primary aims, developing components and
developing a framework.

I would like to reuse the framework part of avalon in ant. The primary
reason is that most of the design patterns in the Avalon Framework are
things that will be done in Ant. As the patterns are based on extracting
and cleaning designs from existing component based systems along with
review of academic research I think they give a strong basis to build upon.

Since early september last year I have slowly been getting AvalonFramework
compatible with what I see as Ant (which caused many a flaming ;] ). If you
look back at Avalons discussion archives you will see that things like
Configuration was aligned with Ants TOM/ProxyTask, and the container api
took into consideration the constraints of Ant. So I think that it would
drastically simplify the building and management of Ant.

When I originally brought this up the reasons not to do it was;
1. Framework was still alpha
2. Framework was "server-orientated"
3. Framework was too big
4. Framework didn't "do" anything
5. Framework had poor docs

(2) is just plain false - my main use for the framework is geometry
manipulation and building simulations (ie nothing to do with servers).

(1) was an issue but as of the 11th we will finally be going beta - yea!!!!!!

framework with debugging information is 23 kb thus (3) is a non-issue.

(4) is the whole point of framework - it is not meant to do anything ;)

(5) is still partially an issue - we have high level dos describing the
methodologies and low-level javadocs but no how-tos. Luckily that will be
our focus post 11th so within a few weeks this will be a non-issue.

If anyone has any queries about Avalon/Framework before voting feel free to
ask (or point out issues).

Cheers,

Pete